It’s Kitten Season!
“Kitten season” is the mating season for cats. The AACSPCA receives kittens daily who still need time to grow. Starting at 8 weeks, they can head to their forever home. Until then, we need your help!
The AACSPCA foster program is looking for more fosters. Space is limited at no-kill shelters. Every time we place an animal in a foster home, we make room for another animal. The foster program places shelter animals in a temporary home where they are cared for until they are ready for adoption or are adopted.
This is challenging but very rewarding volunteer work! Depending on the age and health of the kittens, you may need to be available as often as every 2-3 hours.
- Kittens 0-4 weeks with no mom will need to be bottle fed using a kitten formula.
- Kittens 4-5 weeks are weaning and can eat slurry, a combination of formula and wet kitten food.
- Kittens 5-6 weeks plus can generally eat wet kitten food.
- Kittens 0-1 weeks: bottle feeding/stimulating every 2 hours
- Kittens 1-2 weeks: bottle feeding/stimulating every 2-3 hours
- Kittens 2-3 weeks: bottle feeding/stimulating every 3 hours
- Kittens 3-4 weeks: bottle feeding/stimulating every 4 hours
- Kittens 4-5 weeks: weaning and beginning to use bathroom on their own – feeding every 5-6 hours
- Kittens 5-6 weeks: weaning, using litter box – feeding every 6-8 hours
- Kittens 6-8 weeks: weaned, using litter box – feeding every 8 hours
If you are interested in fostering, please try out our new interactive guide to fostering, to see what is required.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com