SPCA of Anne Arundel County
1815 Bay Ridge Ave.
Annapolis, MD 21403
(410) 268-4388 - Main
(410) 268-8027 - Shelter Fax
(410) 268-1139 - Admin Fax
Board of Directors
Kelly Brown, President Board of Directors
Lou Sullivan Carter
Rita Hope Counts
Jo Ann Sharpe
The Mary E. Parker Shelter
The SPCA of Anne Arundel County is the largest and oldest animal welfare organization in Anne Arundel County.
We provide shelter and humane care for homeless animals in need and work as advocates for animal welfare in our community.
At the SPCA, there is no time limit placed on how long an animal is available for adoption. We embrace animals in need - regardless of age, breed, or physical condition - and provide them with the care they deserve for as long as it takes us to find them a home. As a result of our efforts, and your support, in 2014, we achieved a record high life-saving rate of 98 percent - one of the highest in this country - a remarkable achievement as we accept animals orthers turn away.
The mission of the SPCA shall be to serve as the leading private nonprofit organization within Anne Arundel County which exists to protect companion animals from acts of cruelty and neglect.
- To promote humane care and concern for the animals by educating the public and by working to end pet overpopulation.
- To provide shelter and rehabilitation to companion animals in need.
- To work for the passage and enforcement of laws which promote and provide for the humane treatment of companion animals.
The SPCA of Anne Arundel County was founded in 1920. Originally a society created to deal with the problem of stray dogs overwhelming the Eastport section of Annapolis, the SPCA has grown through the years to become the modern animal welfare organization of today.
In 1934 civic leader Albert H. McCarthy was asked by the HGH community to take over the presidency of the struggling, young organization. A strong force for animal welfare, he laid the foundations for the SPCA that were to see it through the decades ahead.
The SPCA handled dog licensing and enforcement from 1936 to 1966, operating a fleet of up to six ambulances that were dispatched throughout the county to retrieve injured animals.
The first shelter building opened in 1947. It now houses our administrative offices, the spay and neuter clinic, and meeting spaces for activities such as volunteer orientation and dog obedience classes.
In 1966 the county animal control division was established. Today Animal Control responds to calls in the county and picks up stray animals as well as investigating cruelty complaints. The SPCA takes in all voluntarily surrendered animals, providing shelter, medical care and adoption services.
In 1974 the SPCA became one of the pioneers for low cost spay and neuter services. Peg Howard, a singular volunteer, donor, and board member, built and equipped our first spay and neuter clinic with her own money, making an extraordinary gift to the SPCA and the community.
The current animal shelter, the Mary E. Parker Shelter, opened in 1986. Very modern for its time, the new shelter provided air conditioning, flexible runs, medical isolation rooms, and other updated facilities.
Today the SPCA is a vibrant animal welfare organization.